Pages

Monday 6 January 2020

Overcoming adversity | Summer Learning Journey | Week 3 Day 2 Activity 2

L.I to talk about an challenge that you had overcome.

Today I am doing the Summer Learning Journey Day 2 Activity 2. The Summer Learning Journey, is a program that helps children keep track of their learning during the holidays. The Summer Learning Journey has been running for, four years and my school(Panmure Bridge School) has been in the lead for those four years. I am glad that my school is participating in this program because students can learn about different things and get more blog post.

For this activity we were asked to talk about a time that we had a challenge and had overcome it.

A challenge for me was when my brother was going to Tonga to live there. I really didn't care at the time because I didn't like my brother because he would always annoy me. As days passed to weeks, weeks pasted to months, months past to years; I started crying at night and got really depressed. School was the only place for me where I could forget. My depression followed me until I noticed something. I wasn't battling the fact my brother was gone. I was battling depression. I went through a lot of things to overcome it and I stopped it by spending more time with family and thinking about the positive. As I started to overcome this issue, I started to participate more in school things, and I would always remember what my mother had said: "If you can't love yourself, how would you ever love somebody else,". 

5 comments:

  1. Malo Sulia, it's Naomi again from The University of Auckland. I am so sorry to hear that you have had to face such tough challenges that include your brother relocating to Tonga and your personal battle with depression. But what I really admire is your resilience and the path you have taken to overcome these considerable challenges. I too have been through periods of depression and agree with you that family, a positive mindset and loving yourself are powerful strategies for overcoming adversity. Thank you for being so courageous and for sharing your journey for others to be encouraged. This blog post has made my day and has reminded me of what is important in life. Thank you :) I see that you also enjoy playing rugby. Was sport, and particularly rugby, a part of your strategy? Apart from playing with family, do you play in a team?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sulia. Well done on posting and participating in the SLJ this year. I like the post you created on "Overcoming Adversity" and sharing about your family. When we moved to New Zealand we had to leave all of our family behind in England, but they, and some of our friends, have been out to visit many times... Keep blogging, and commenting on others to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes, and to keep up your learning over the school break

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sulia! Thank you for sharing this story about your personal mental-health issues. That is definitely a difficult topic, but you inspire many others. I think learning to love yourself is a big achievement. What is something you realized now that you have overcame this adversity? Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sulia!,
    I found your story very interesting. Someone a part of your family who leaves is very difficult. I have also felt that experience. My mum and sister left to a different country for a month. I was very sad and depressed too. You have overcome a very hard challenge, which is very brave to do. Loving yourself is a very important thing to do in life. I agree with what your mum said. School really does help you overcome things.

    Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sulia!
    This activity you did was great, Great job for staying active with the Summer Learning Journey! What was the hardest part of this activity?
    Blog you later!
    ~ Florence

    ReplyDelete